On this day in 1901, Woolson Spice Company of Toledo, Ohio, ran this ad in the Athens Daily Banner for Lion brand coffee.
(click image to enlarge)
Woolson Spice Company was the roaster and distributor of Lion Coffee, and had recently decided to embark in a $200,000.00 ad campaign across the nation, comparable to a $5 million ad campaign today. The message of their ad seems to be that anyone, even a male lion, could successfully make great coffee if he used Lion coffee.
Though their logos are similar, the LION Coffee that exists today is unrelated to this company, and started in 1969, specializing in Hawaiian gourmet coffee beans.
- Athens Daily Banner, Feb. 1901 - Oct. 1901 on Microfilm in the Heritage collection.
- Hearings Held Before the Special Committee on the Investigation of the American Sugar Refining Company and Others, Volume 3, in Google Books.
- All About Coffee by William H. Ukers in the general collection.
- The Coffee Cookbook by William I. Kaufman in the general collection.
- The Joy of Coffee: The Essential Guide to Buying, Brewing, and Enjoying by Corby Kummer in the general collection.
- A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage in the general collection.
- Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture by Taylor Clark in the general collection.
- Start Your Own Coffee and Tea Store by JoAnn Padgett in the general collection.
- Lions by Brian Bertram in the general collection.
- A Lion Called Christian by Anthony Bourke in the general collection.
- Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds by Joy Adamson in the general collection
- Born Wild by Tony Fitzjohn in the biography collection.
- Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived by Ralph Helfer in the general collection.
- The Lions of Savuti: Hunting with the Moon by Dereck Joubert and Beverly Joubert in the general collection.