On this day in 1899, the story of the burglary of the "bedding, furniture, crockeryware, and clothing" of Mr. Joe Brightwell was published on the front page of the daily Athens Banner as well as the Weekly Banner:
Unfortunately, no further news was published about the robbery, so it is thought that Mr. Brightwell's goods were never recovered, nor the guilty parties ever brought to justice.
- Weekly Banner, Aug. 1898 - Oct. 1899 on Microfilm in the Heritage collection.
- Athens Historic Newspaper Archive in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- The Mammoth Book of Unsolved Crimes by Roger Wilkes in the general collection.
- The Barefoot Bandit: The True Tale of Carlton Marris-Moore, New American Outlaw by Bob Friel in the New Books collection.
- Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief by Bill Mason in the biography collection.
- Crime Scene: The Ultimate Guide to Forensic Science by Richard Platt in the general collection.
- Best American Crime Writing, edited by Otto Penzler in the general collection.
- The Calamity Papers: Western Myths and Cold Cases by Dale L. Walker in the general collection.
- Malicious Intent: A Writer's Guide to How Murderers, Robbers, Rapists, and Other Criminals Think by Sean P. Mactire in the general collection.