On this day in 1889, the Weekly Banner published the following editorial:
The decline of the horse as transportation was not as rapid as it may have seemed in 1889. Though automobiles gained in popularity, liveries still did a good business in Athens into the 1910s, and the Athens police used mounted patrols for downtown for more than 100 years after this editorial was published.
- Southern Watchman, Aug. 1888 - Dec. 1889 on Microfilm in the Heritage collection.
- Georgia's Protected Wildlife by the Game & Fish Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in the Heritage collection.
- The Optimist's Tour of the Future: One Curious Man Sets Out to Answer "What's Next?" by Mark Stevenson in the New Books collection.
- Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand in the general collection.
- Secretariat's Meadow: The Land, the Family, the Legend by Kate Chenery Tweedy in the New Books collection.
- The Rarest of the Rare: Vanishing Animals, Timeless Worlds by Diane Ackerman in the general collection.
- The Wonderful Future That Never Was by Gregory Benford in the New Books collection.
- The Ghost with Trembling Wings: Science, Wishful Thinking, and the Search for Lost Species by Scott Weidensaul in the general collection.
- Inevitable Surprises: Thinking Ahead in a Time of Turbulence by Peter Schwartz in the general collection.
- A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World's Extinct Animals by Tim Flannery and Peter Schouten in the general collection.
- Probable Tomorrows: How Science and Technology Will Transform Our Lives in the Next Twenty Years by Marvin J. Cetron and Owen Davies in the general collection.
- No Turning Back: The Life and Death of Animal Species by Richard Ellis in the general collection.
- I Live in the Future and Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain are Being Creatively Disrupted by Nick Bilton in the New Books collection.
- Extinct Species of the World by Jean-Christophe Balouet in the general and Reference collections.
- Deep Future: The Next 100,000 Years of Life on Earth by Curt Stager in the New Books collection.
- The Way We Will Be 50 Years from Today: 60 of the World's Greatest Minds Share Their Visions of the Next Half Century, edited by Mike Wallace in the general collection.
- The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century by Scott Adams in the general collection.
- MountedPolice.com website.