On this day, we'd like you to know that if pictures like this one make you sad:
|Empty Heritage Room Shelves, August, 2011|
Then pictures like this one will make you very happy indeed!
|Georgia history now available in the Reference area, August, 2011|
Despite the temporary reduction in space due to library construction, many of the Heritage Room resources used most by our patrons were able to be moved temporarily to the Reference area.
We have already pleasantly surprised several researchers who were not only happy to find so much of the collection, but also have come to work during all hours the library is open, rather than our limited Heritage Room hours. Do you only have a couple of hours in the morning, or can't get here until after work? That's no longer a concern!
We've also moved the vast majority of our microfilm and microfiche collections, as well as the digital scanner/printer and a microfilm reader. Whether you want to use our microfilm, or have some from another library via Interlibrary Loan, you can now reserve time on the microfilm machines to ensure they are available when you want to do your research. Just call the Reference desk at (706) 613-3650, ext. 356 to make a reservation. (Reservations are not required, but reservations will take precedence over walk-in patrons while our space is limited to two machines.)
Among the Heritage Room resources now available to you in the Reference area of the library:
- All Athens newspapers on Microfilm
- Newspaper Abstract books
- Athens-Clarke County Local History collection
- Civil War Reference Sets, including Rosters and Pension Index
- Clarke County Deeds & Mortgages (and their Indexes) on Microfilm
- Athens City Directories (some gaps; some on Microfilm only)
- Athens-Clarke County Yearbooks
- General genealogy resources
- Family name histories
- Georgia City Directories on Microfilm
- University of Georgia Pandoras, 1930-1993 (some gaps)
- Passenger List and immigration resources
- Clarke County Wills & Estate Records on Microfilm
- Clarke County Marriage Records on Microfilm
- Native American genealogy resources
- Revolutionary War Indexes and Pension Files
- General Civil War history
- State and some County resources for New England, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, and, of course, Georgia
Come by to see us! We think you'll be delighted!