On this day, we'd like to alert you to a change to the Footnote History and Genealogy Archives available to Athens Regional Library System cardholders via GALILEO. Their new name is Fold3, and when you first enter the site, you will receive this announcement of the change:
The name change is in honor of their new focus, which is primarily United States military records. As this is the vast majority of what they already hold, and why many use their site, the change is merely cosmetic for most history and family researchers who use this database.
The site will not be eliminating their current non-military collections, such as city directories, U. S. Census documents, Native American records, and naturalization files. However, the site will not be adding new collections to these categories, as they move their focus to their military collections. Among the incomplete military collections that will benefit from the new focus are the War of 1812 Pension Files and several World War II collections.
When you visit the database now, the primary difference is the title of site and collections, as seen here:
Please let us know if you run into any problems, but so far, we've found the site is operating as normal. You can contact us at the Reference Desk by calling (706)613-3650, ext. 356, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fold3 link from the Athens-Clarke County Library's Genealogy & Georgia database list.
- Footnote is now Fold3 blog post announcement by the company on Thursday, 18 August 2011.
- Questions you may have about Fold3 blog post by the company on Friday, 19 August 2011.
- Footnote.com Announces New Focus on Historical U.S. Military Records and Changes Name to Fold 3 by Dick Eastman in his Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter.
- Footnote.com gets a new focus and a new name article by Examiner.com local news site.