On this day in 1885, the Weekly Banner-Watchman published this happy assessment of the future of Athens:
- Weekly Banner-Watchman, July 7, 1885 - April 17, 1888 on Microfilm in the Heritage collection.
- U. S. Census Bureau Reference Shelf web page.
- American: Beyond Our Grandest Notions by Chris Matthews in the general collection.
- Redefining Southern Culture: Mind and Identity in the Modern South by James C. Cobb in the general collection.
- Athens, Georgia: The Classic City--Tradition with Progress by Donald A. Smith in the Heritage collection.
- Cities in Our Future: Growth and Form, Environmental Health and Social Equity, edited by Robert Geddes in the general collection.
- Occurrence and Availability of Groundwater in the Athens Region by Dean B. Radtke in the Heritage collection.
- A Postcard History of Athens, Georgia by Gary L. Doster in the Reference, Heritage, and general collections.
- Athens, Georgia: In the Heart of Expansion, A Very Pleasant Place to Live by the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce in the Heritage collection.
- A Modern Southern Reader, edited by Ben Forkner and Patrick Samway in the general collection.
- Athens: A Pictorial History by James K. Reap in the Heritage and general collections.
- Cathedrals of Kudzu: A Personal Landscape of the American South by Hal Crowther in the general collection.
- Athens for All/Athens para Todos: A Bilingual Guide to Spending an Hour or a Lifetime in Georgia's Classic City by Paul Matthews in the Heritage, Reference, and general collections.