On this day in 1903, the Athens Banner ran this story on their front page:
SEVERAL NICE 'CUES GIVEN YESTERDAY
The people of Clarke county reveled in barbecues yesterday.
In several of the precincts elegant barbecues were gotten up by those interested in the bond election, and they were enjoyed by quite a number of people.
One of the largest was that at Princeton, where the managers of the two cotton mills gave the barbecue to their operatives.
Athens Banner, 4 September 1903, p. 1, col. 7.
The bond issue was to pay for paving of public roads in Athens, and passed with 979 votes for the bonds and only 2 votes against it. The day after election results were published in the paper, the Athens Banner noted that
The eyes of the people of Georgia are upon Clarke county. The results of the bond election put her in the very front rank among progressive counties of the state....
The county of Clarke recently led the way in Georgia for a nine months session of her public schools, now she leads the way for the extensive improvement of her public roads. She is a leader and the people of the county have every reason to feel proud of the stand she is taking among the counties of the state in everything that looks to the progress and improvement of the people.
Athens Banner, 5 September 1903, p. 1, cols. 1-2.
- Athens Daily Banner, May 1902 - Oct. 1903 on Microfilm in the Heritage collection.
- Athens Historic Newspaper Archive collection in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- Chicopee Mill: A History by Olivia Bloomfield Carlisle in the Heritage collection.
- The Peach State Glove Box Guide to Bar-b-que: The Complete Statewide Guide to Bar-b-que in Georgia by Steve Storey in the general collection.
- How to Win a Local Election: A Complete Step-by-Step Guide by Grey Lawrence in the general collection.
- Smoke and Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue by Cheryl and Bill Jamison in the general collection.
- Side Orders: Small Helpings of Southern Cookery and Culture by John Egerton in the general collection.
- Beans, Greens, and Sweet Georgia Peaches: the Southern Way of Cooking Fruits and Vegetables by Damon Lee Fowler in the general collection.
- The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce Book by Jim Auchmutey in the general collection.
- A Gracious Plenty: Recipes and Recollections from the American South by John T. Edge in the general collection.
- Secrets of the South's Best Barbecue by Jane E. Gentry and Rebecca Brennan in the general collection.
- Blue Willow Inn Cookbook by Louis and Billie Van Dyke in the general collection.
- Down Home with the Neely's: A Southern Family Cookbook by Patrick and Gina Neely in the general collection.
- Georgia Entertains by Margaret Wayt DeBolt in the general collection.