On this day in 1911, the Athens Banner ran this adorable story on the front page of their daily newspaper:
(click to enlarge image)
Though it often seems odd to see animals caring for the young of different species, cross-species adoption has always been common in the animal world, even among animals that would otherwise be prey for the nurturing parent. According to an article in National Wildlife magazine, "even in the unsentimental calculus of natural selection, it may be better to err on the side of compassion."
- Athens Banner, Jul. 1911 - Nov. 1911 on Microfilm in the Heritage collection.
- Parenting Paradox by Sharon Levy, National Wildlife Magazine, Aug/Sept 2002.
- Unusual Animal Families photo album in Global Animal magazine online.
- The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin in the general collection.
- A Natural History of Parenting by Susan Allport in the general collection.
- Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding by Sarah Hrdy via PINES.
- Guess Who My Mommy Is by Ann Axworthy in the children's picture book collection.
- The Emperor's Embrace: Reflections on Animal Families and Fatherhood by J. Moussaieff Masson in the general collection.
- Mother Nature: A History of Mothers, Infants, and Natural Selection by Sarah Hrdy via PINES.